Practical Information (Summer School 2020)
- For Whom: BA/MA/PhD students, practitioners, and lifelong-learners.
- When: July, August and September 2020.
- Each application is reviewed on its merits and admission decision made within 3 weeks from the date of application.
- Each applicant has 4 weeks to complete his/ her registration.
- Fees: EUR 1,500 per course. Early bird price: EUR 1330 (Until 1 March 2020).
- Fee covers course registration, administration, welcome cocktail, and graduation dinner.
- You will need to cover your own travel costs to Helsinki and lodging costs. We can advise you on a case-by-case basis on your preferred accommodation.
Line-up of Helsinki Law Academy Summer School Courses 2020
- Law and Global Capitalism (July 2020)
- Human Rights and Economic Development (August 2020)
- Global Financial Governance (August 2020)
- International Tribunals and Global Legal Order (September 2020)
There are two stages of application: (1) data collection and (2) payment. Follow this link to sign-up. We will need evidence of university studies and government identification. Evidence of university studies may include (1) transcripts or (2) diploma/certificate. We will also need evidence of government identification such (a) passport or (b) national identification. Driving license is not evidence of identification.
The maximum intake of our courses ranges from 20-35 students.
The registration process is rather straightforward – you fill out this form and then pay for the course(s) you wish to take by bank transfer to the following account: FI75 5780 0720 5574 58. SWIFT/BIC OKOYFIHH.
You may also use your PayPal/Credit Card to pay for a course. No other methods of payment is accepted.
Once you paid for a course, you send a “screen grab” with the course name to the following email: email@example.com. It will take 1-3 days for EU payments to arrive in our account and up to 7 (seven) working days for non-EU payment. Once your payment arrived, we will then confirm registration and issue you with a letter of acceptance.
Early bird (EUR 1330 until 15 March 2020/ regular fee EUR 1500
You may use your letter of acceptance to assist with securing a visa to Finland.
Helsinki Law Academy can provide you with basic information regarding housing options. However, you should consult the Helsinki Student Housing Foundation (hoas.fi) for possible short-term accommodation. Other housing options include – forenom.fi for (aparthotel rooms); Omenahotel Helsinki for discounted rooms (month).
Class Premises & Learning Resources
Classes will be conducted primarily at three premises in Helsinki City Center.
Summer school participants will be encouraged to the use the Helsinki University Library (Kaisa Talo) or The Library of Parliament where they can access law books and other material.
WIFI access will be available from the Helsinki Public Library System or internal Wi-Fi from other premises where the courses are being held. EDUROAM is also widely available at Kaisa Talo and other university premises in the Helsinki area.
The teacher of each course will also upload to the learning Moodle system (helsinki-law.org/education) electronic material for each course. Traditional print out may also be available in order to minimise the use of electronic equipment and to foster interactive discussions.
Helsinki Law Academy also organises networking workshops with law firms and international institutions in Finland.
Helsinki Law Academy reserves the right to cancel a course if there is insufficient registration (minimum 20). You will be notified and will be given a refund where you have paid the fees.
If you cancel your course after payment you will be entitled to 50 (fifty) percent refund providing that the cancellation is two months before the course starts. Cancellation after two months are entitled to 30 (thirty) percent refund. We have to book and pre-pay for the premises and therefore cancellation impact heavily on such prepayments. However, if you are able to demonstrate force majeure with credible evidence you may be entitled to 80 percent refund if you cancel two months after the course deadline.
If Helsinki Law Academy cancels a course due to not having the required minimum participants, you will be offered to (1) enrol in a different course, or (2) full refund of your course fee.
Helsinki City Center where the courses are being held is easily accessible within 15 minutes by public transport.
There are a number of restaurants, café and student canteen in the City Center where you can dine.
During your three weeks with us (of if you take three courses, three months) we will organise a number of events for you to participate in, and join in with other summer school students activities in the Helsinki area.
Helsinki Law Academy endorses events that Sibelius Music Academy carries out; you may find useful activities by singing up to their summer school Facebook group.
Otherwise, Helsinki Law Academy will organise some or most of the following:
- Welcome cocktail (free)
- Bar hopping in the Kallio District (paid)
- Weekend trip to (Lohja) (paid)
- Weekend trip to Tallinn/Stockholm (paid)
- Graduation Dinner (black-tie) (free)
- Mid-Course Sunday Brunch (free)
- Summer Sauna/Suomenlinna (paid)
- Nuuksio National Park (paid)
- Picnic at Valisaari (paid)
- Helsinki – Porvoo Cruise and Dinner (paid)
- Weekend trip to Saimaa (including lake cruise) (paid)
Graduation and Dinner
At the end of the summer school we will organise a black-tie dinner at a yet to be determined hotel where you will also be issued with your certificate. It would therefore be good to bring the required dress (dinner lounge for gents and evening dress for ladies).
The course diploma will be accompanied by the course transcript and course description, which you will receive in electronic and print form (at the dinner).
Helsinki Law Academy provides ECTS credits for measuring the workload. Course credits at Helsinki Law Academy are usually 6 ECTS.
Budget guide for Helsinki Law Academy Summer School
- Course Fee EUR 1,500
- Private Studio, 1 Month EUR, 550 – 850
- Furnished room (Forenom) EUR, 750
- Airbnb Varies
- Furnished room (student) EUR, 450
- Furnished room (hoas.fi) EUR 450 – 550
- Insurance (recommended) EUR 60
- Transport (Helsinki Region) EUR 120
- Living Expenses (Month) EUR 600
- Travel to Helsinki (varies**) EUR 800
Institutions, individuals and corporate entities are encouraged to support the activities of Helsinki Law Academy through gifts, grants, donations and sponsorships. For donations, we accept bank transfers and or PayPal Giving. You are also welcome to become a member of the foundation that operates Helsinki Law Academy – Helsinki Law Academy ry by taking out annual memberships. Individual membership is 100e and 500e for corporate membership. Memberships allows you to participate in our activities free of cost.
Banking Connection: FI75 5780 0720 5574 58; SWIFT/BIC OKOYFIHH